Master of Product Design Labs
Masters of Design and Innovation - 1 year
- Type of course : Masters of Design and Innovation
- Language : English
- School: Design
- Start date: January 2020
- Duration: 1 year
- Timetable : Morning-Afternoon
- Attendance: in-person
- Qualification: Private Upon completing the course, an accredited private diploma will be presented to students for the successful and satisfactory completion of the course.
- Directed to : Designers working in any discipline, architects and engineers with academic and professional experience, who want to specialize and materialize an idea into a specific product or project. We recommend that participants arrive at the Masters with a project in mind, since the program offers them the ideal time and place to do it. This Master is a multidisciplinary and international program, on the frontier between design and production.
- Admission process : To access this program, students will be selected based on: • Updated curriculum vitae. • Certificate of studies (scanned original document). • Work portfolio (if you have one). • Motivation letter, explaining your interest in this programme. • It is essential to have medium-high oral and written level in English. • Interview in person, by telephone or via Skype.
SUSTAINABILITY, DESIGN AND INNOVATION Materialise your ideas by applying creative innovation to materials and fabrication processes
Master of Product Design Labs
In the Master of Product Design Labs students will learn how to research, develop and deliver a product to high technical and quality standards, using a methodology based on the project, to understand fully and in great detail the development of processes and industrial constraints.
By providing access to industry tools, innovative materials and manufacturing processes, we create the ideal working environment for students, so that they can anticipate the needs of the market, looking for alternatives to the usual methods of solving problems, encouraging critical thinking and social awareness.
What is the Master of Product Design Labs?
We are living at a time that echoes the early stages of industrial design, when designers’ work was not limited to "aesthetics", and when they instead played a key role in innovation, technology development, the development of product strategy and the creation of new businesses.
The Master of Product Design Labs focuses on carrying out ideas through the tools offered by the industry, innovation in the field of materials and manufacturing processes, in order to creatively anticipate market demands.
The Master of Product Design Labs creates favourable conditions in which to achieve, over a year of learning and experience, the following objectives:
• Leading multidisciplinary teams during the production process.
• Establishing personal contacts with various professionals.
• Managing the logistics of a project.
• Conceptualizing, developing and communicating innovative ideas.
• Incorporating innovation, both conceptual and technological
The contents covered in the course are organized into modules:
• Foundation (critical historical analysis, methodology, sustainability, visual communication...)
• Specific (socio-economic and needs analysis of users, anthropology, materials, production systems and processes, product launch processes, new technologies, projects)
• Transverse (design culture, applied creativity, team building, design research, design thinking, job placement…)
• Thesis / research project (concept, idea, development, production, prototyping, display...)
Why study the Master of Product Design Labs?
• Because we learn by doing: only then is it possible to really learn.
• Because we foster research and delve into the boundary between design, strategy and communication.
• Because the multicultural environment between students and professionals from different places enriches their personal experience.
• Because we offer the chance to network with companies and professionals of national and international renown.
• Because the programme is based on an innovative and transverse learning methodology.
• Because travel and visits enrich the knowledge areas.
• Because the cultural activity during the course is intense and helps to complement the experience.
• Because it takes place in Madrid, a European capital that is home to major institutions and companies, with intense cultural activity and highly accessible and multicultural.
How do students learn in the Master of Product Design Labs?
Project culture is the basis of the work dynamic and students learn by conceptualizing, developing, producing and communicating.
The course is methodologically developed on the basis of:
• Creative workshops
• Activities and workshops during international trips to institutions, firms and companies. Previous editions have included visits to such diverse destinations as San Francisco, Silicon Valley, China, Milan, London, Denmark, Portugal, Barcelona and Paris-Boisbuchet.
• Seminars and lectures
• Case Studies
• Activities and cultural events
• Tutorials for the development of specific projects
• Thesis research carried out throughout the master's program
At whom is the Master of Product Design Labs aimed?
Designers in any area, architects and engineers with academic and professional experience who want to specialize and materialize an idea with a specific product or project. It is recommended that participants arrive at the master with a project in mind, as it will provide the perfect time and place to carry it out. This programme has been devised with a multidisciplinary and international approach, set in the border between design and production.
Objectives of the Masters of Design and Innovation
- Train agents capable of leading change
- Develop critical thinking
- Learn to coordinate and work in a team
- Be able to take professional responsibility and integrate environmental and social matters in their planning processes
- Be able to adapt to changes and to the evolution of new needs and new media
- Master project methodology and propose strategies and innovative solutions to problems in a range of spheres of action
Objectives of the Master of Product Design Labs
The Master of Product Design Labs focuses on the materialization of ideas through available tools, creative innovation in materials and manufacturing processes and anticipating market demands. It trains designers with motivation and entrepreneurial initiative, able to work in the real world.
- Develop creative and innovative skills
- Activate critical and analytical thinking in social and business reality
- Predict and interpret trends and future scenarios
- Conceptualize, develop and communicate innovative ideas
- Research, built, prototype and implement projects
- Integrate business, sustainability and innovation
- Strengthen students’ identities as professionals who are able to work anywhere in the world
- Conceptualize, develop and generate ideas
- Add conceptual and technological innovation to products and processes
- Design products, systems and spaces in an international context
- Manage the logistics of a project
- Develop projects in multidisciplinary teams
The program includes a comprehensive curriculum with topics and examples where students will have the opportunity to discover a complete, professional and multidisciplinary vision of the sector. It is divided into contents that correspond to the skills each student will have acquired once the course has been completed.
Why do we travel?
- Emergent trends
- Digital and communication tools
The trips that students take as part of the Masters of Design of Innovation are more than just that. They are experiences that go beyond, creating key moments for learning and personal growth. These trips have the power to change students’ perception of design and innovation, providing them with opportunities to establish connections with the professional world and carrying out projects on the other side of the world.
The students will first take a trip around Europe. This will situate them in the midst of the professional context of their speciality, and will give them the chance to get closer to important agencies and design studios, with workshops at prestigious companies, sharing experiences with true gurus of design, visiting large factories and keeping up with trends in the most innovative destinations for each discipline.
Later, they will have the chance to take an intercontinental trip and take part in a range of projects with institutions from all over the world. Students themselves will choose which project they want to develop, depending on their interests, motivations within design and the subject matter chosen for their personal thesis. Designing, executing and communicating is more effective when it is carried out through a real and specific project. Additionally, these include a social aspect, full of sustainability values, befitting the needs of society today. One of the main characteristics will be the multi-disciplinary nature of the trip, which will be taken by students of the three master courses: a combination of talents to carry out social innovation projects which generate a positive impact in their realm of action.
In the last edition of the Master of Product Design Labs students visited destinations such as Milan, Colombia, India or South Africa.
- Senior Designer
- Design Manager
- Project Manager
- Product Manager
- Design Consultant
- Freelance Designer
The master prepares students for the workplace, providing them with skills, tools and capabilities that predispose them to a professional world that is currently being redefined and that they themselves may help define.
- Design research
- Idea generation
- Business design
- Communication strategy
- Agile management
- Experience flow
- Crafting digital fabrication processes
- Implementation & Communication
- 3D modelling
- Legal matters
- Mapping for sustainability
- Sustainability framework
- Design principles
- Design for social innovation
- Base of The Pyramid
- Intercontinental Trip
- Future scenarios
- Technology awareness
- European Trip
- Internet of Things - Trends
- Open Business Models
- Interacting design
- Case Studies
Digital & Communication Tools
- Oral presentation techniques
- Photography techniques
- Video editing
- Information Design
- Team building
- Create your profile